31 May 2023 is ‘World No Tobacco Day’, which Member states of the World Health Organisation (WHO) created in 1987 to draw global attention to the tobacco epidemic and the preventable death and disease it causes  .
Why quit smoking?
Smoking tobacco is an addictive, and difficult habit to give up. However, as we all know, there are many benefits to quitting.
Benefits of quitting include:
The first month
- In 12 hours, excess carbon monoxide is out of your blood
- In 5 days, most nicotine is out of your body
- In 1 week, your sense of taste and smell improves
- In 1 month, your skin appearance is likely to improve
The first year
- In 2 months, your lungs will no longer be producing extra phlegm caused by smoking
- In 3 months, your lung function and blood flow improve
- In 12 months, your risk of heart disease has halved
Longer term benefits
- In 5 years, your risk of a stroke has dramatically decreased
- In 10 years, your risk of lung cancer is less than half that of a continuing smoker and continues to fall
- In 15 years, your risk of heart attack and stroke is almost the same as that of a person who has never smoked .
Other benefits of quitting include reducing the personal financial outlay associated with purchasing tobacco as well as reducing the effects of those in close contact with smokers.
The benefit to your client's insurance policy if they quit
By the time your clients have stopped smoking for more than 12 months, it is likely they would have seen improvements to their taste, sense of smell, skin appearance and to some extent their lung function and the risk of heart disease .
To further their reward, they may be able to reduce the premiums on their AIA Priority Protection premiums by completing a non-smoker declaration via paper application or DocuSign which you can find on our Adviser Portal here.
Find the ‘Policy Services’ tab and search for Application Non Smoker Rates.
Find the ‘Adviser Forms & Documents’ tab and search for Application for Non Smoker Rates.
DocuSign is a quick and easy to use digital form meaning we can process the application quicker.
If your clients are currently smokers and are AIA Vitality members, they have access to Allen Carrs Easyway Stop Smoking online seminars. Just access the AIA Vitality app, select the ‘Partners & Rewards – See All – and find the Allen Carr’s Easyway tab to continue.
If you would like to discuss a client who has ceased smoking for more than 12 months, please contact your AIA Client Development Manager or Associate.